Sunday, 8 May 2011

░▒▓█ 5 Years with YouTube

Today is the 5th Anniversary of my account with YouTube.


Many thanks to everyone in the online world for the unprecedented gusher in the attendance rate on and for this very special day.

YouTube was a unique and fun experience when it was only barely started. At that time in 2006 was a positive myriad of commercials, music, serials, movies and games from users all over the world who signed up that allowed me the chance to see what I had missed other than reliving what I have already experienced. The company at that time also implemented a Director Program where in order to upload videos that are longer than 10 minutes (or 10:55 in actuality) the keen user would have to apply in writing, supply the necessary credentials and most importantly, top it off by giving them a good reason why they should give it to him or her. Everyone who had an account wanted it, and as it was a case-by-case affair the wait for their approval or denial could last for days,  weeks or even months for some of the less-fortunate.

Needless to say I was one of those who got approved, and work began on full runs of some of those classic video games I enjoyed in my childhood.

Of course, over the course of half a decade as the novelty has eventually worn off and had stabilised to become the norm in the lives of the mainstream Internet users I've also personally seen lots of people come and go: people that helped me, people that remained staunch allies, people that were just wasting my time other than being of absolutely no value to anybody, people that were of no value, people that were of no value and people that were of no value. Among them was one unique user with a controversial moniker called IFuckedBritneySpears who offered polite and constructive advice, and would become one of the very few people I like as a person on the site, but he too was gone suddenly of his own volition, and so I had to accept it and move on.

Under the Sun all things are the same, or are they not? Let history be the judge.

I admit that in those days I was just a fun-seeking user who also happened to be green and immature as I was all over subscribers, comments and 5-star ratings where my videos are concerned. I happened to make a lot of friends from the video game community, most of which are unfortunately nerds, but more importantly when I partially-transitioned to fighting games I saw that most of them who were also my subscribers did not view or comment on them. They fell into silence. The one hard lesson I learnt about the market is that fighting games are more for the niche crowd, whereas the mainstream prefer the retro games they lived with in an earlier, more carefree part of their lives. However, I take their lack of appreciation (since fighting games are also video games notwithstanding) as an affront, and naturally, I went on later to remove 2000 of these deadweights (a tale I am most proud to share with people even until today) and fully retain the girls' loyal support and that of my allies and some friends who had also stuck by me during the various stages of my stay.

When the Director system was abolished in around 2008 I also saw my earlier-approved application for the right to upload long videos being withheld as well, and naturally I was furious when I saw that those less-talented users get to retain their lengthy uploading rights regardless. This and the constant fending-off of some annoying trolls was a bad time to be online, so I didn't get so involved and in the occasion that I did, since I realised I could no longer do long runs of those classic games that usually extend beyond close to 11 minutes I switched to doing brief matches from the various fighting games instead. This was probably when I got even more involved in the genre, played some matches online, brought my skills to reign offline and it took off from there. I still have the love for retro games but like the fighting games I'm not going to do them to please anybody. I do in whatever style I feel like it and I put them out whenever I want, in no sequential order.

And so this went on until something significant happened. Months before before my 5th Anniversary with the #1 video-hosting site I was glad to see that my rights as a Director (some even say Producer) have been properly reinstated by the staff's decision which I felt was fair and just, and weeks before the moment finally arrived I was also pleased to have a good friend offline I met in the arcades who added me. We are quite different, but I enjoy our theological exchanges nonetheless.

Despite all the unpleasantness I experienced I will continue supporting the account. I can and I will continue putting in my best in those games I touched, which is what you saw, even improving my skill along the way in my free time in an undying effort.

Studium, Perfectio, Praestantia

Ah a labour of love, to call it aptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment